Born in Saitama Prefecture, February 8, 1965
Chairperson, The Whole Brain Architecture Initiative, a specified NPO
Director and Managing Editor, The Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence
Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Information Systems, The University of Electro-Communications
Research Fellow, Tamagawa University Brain Science Institute
Project General Manager, Artificial General Intelligence Laboratory, The Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence
Visiting Researcher, The Artificial Intelligence Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology(AIST)
Area of expertise: artificial intelligence, in particular cognitive architecture, concept acquisition, neurocomputing, and opinion aggregation technology
Doctor of Engineering
1987: BS Physics, Faculty of Science, Tokyo University of Science
1989: MS Physics, School of Science, The University of Tokyo
1992: D. Eng., School of Engineering, The University of Tokyo
1992-2014: Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd.
1994: Secondment to Ministry of International Trade and Industry’s Real World Computing Project, Tsukuba Research Institute
2014-present: Chief, Dwango Co., Ltd. Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
2015-present: Visiting Researcher, The Artificial Intelligence Research Center, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology(AIST)
2015-present: Chairperson, The Whole Brain Architecture Initiative, a specified NPO
2015-present: Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Information Systems, The University of Electro-Communications
2016-present: Senior Staff Member, Keio Research Institute at SFC
- Yamakawa, Hiroshi. "Hippocampal formation mechanism will inspire frame generation for building an artificial general intelligence." (presentation, The Fifth Conference on Artificial General Intelligence, Oxford, United Kingdom, December 8–11 , 2012).
- Yamakawa, Hiroshi and Ryutaro Ichise. “Educational Board Game for Career Planning (Happy Academic Life 2006): Production, Distribution and Progress.” The Journal of Information Science and Technology Association 62, no. 12 (2012): 514–519. (in Japanese)
- Yamakawa, Hiroshi. “Powerful Voter Selection for Making Multistep Delegate Ballot Fair.” Transactions of the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence 24, no. 1 (2009): 170–177. (JSAI Best Paper Award)
- Bishop, Christopher M. Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning. Translated by Hiroshi Yamakawa (Chapter 14) and Toshihiro Kamishima et. al. (2008).
- Yamakawa, Hiroshi, Mutsuyo Yamaguchi and Koji Maruhashi, and Yoshio Nakao. “Multi- aspect gene relation analysis.” Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing 10 (2005): 233-244.
- Yamakawa, Hiroshi, Takayuki Baba and Hiroyuki Okada. “Concept Acquisition and Reasoning Process in a Card Classification Task by Situation Decomposition Using ETMIC Criterion.” Cognitive Studies 11, no. 2 (2004): 143–154.
- Yamakawa, Hiroshi, Yuji Miyamoto, Takayuki Baba and Hiroyuki Okada. “Cognitive Distance Learning Problems Solver Reduces Search Cost Through Learning Processes.” Transactions of the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence 17, no. 1 (2002): 1-13.
- Yamakawa, Hiroshi and Yoichi Okabe. “A neural network-like critic for reinforcement learning.” Neural Networks 8 (1995): 363-373.
- Kimoto, Takashi, Yoshinori Yaginuma, Hiroshi Yamakawa. “Information integration model with sandglass neural network.” The Journal of Institute of Electronics, Information and Communications Engineers J79-D-II, no. 5, (1996): 949–959.
- Nagata, Shigemi, Daiki Masumoto and Hiroshi Yamakawa. “Hierarchical Sensory-Motor Fusion Model With Neural Networks.” Journal of the Robotics Society of Japan 12, no. 5 (1994): 685–694.